This article was published on: 3/07/20 4:08 PM
Is your Data safe on the Cloud?
“Sure an ERP system is great, but is my data safe on the cloud?”
– a common worry for most ERP users.
How does it work?
A technology called ‘virtualisation’ allows for the creation of a simulated, ‘virtual’ computer that behaves as if it was a physical computer with its own hardware. These virtual machines are sandboxed from one another so that they don’t interact with each other at all. Even if individual servers go down, cloud servers are always online.
Due to common misconceptions and myths about cloud storage some companies remain hesitant to move forward into the future.
The cloud enables greater transparency and accessibility, rapid deployment of the software across the company and seamless scaling of business functions to meet market changes. There have been a number of high profile attacks on company data in the past. These stories are bound to make some hesitant about transiting to the cloud.
Here are some of the top buyer misconceptions when it comes to cloud ERP system:
- Cloud data is more prone to attack: An ERP vendor has more expertise on data security than the average enterprise engaging its services. The physical location of the server, be it on company premises or within a cloud provider’s data center, has little relevance on the server’s potential vulnerability. The data’s security relies less on the physical location of the server and more on the security measures implemented by the center. Companies with on premise ERP have the added responsibility of maintaining its server’s security and maintenance. The generally superior to that of the average enterprise. Thus purely in terms of data security, the cloud system is the better option for most small and medium sized enterprises.
- Data Residency Control: Many countries have regulations that restrict personal or sensitive data to be exported or stored in a different country. Companies that fear that their data and records may be outsourced without their consent can rest easy knowing that there are legislative restrictions to prevent that. By choosing a reputable and reliable ERP vendor who is transparent about the internal and external policies governing the relationship, the firms can be assured that their data is in reliable hands and rest easy.
- Rival firms with the same vendor can hack and sabotage: A persistent but unfounded concern is that a cloud based system that houses the data of multiple firms is inherently more susceptible to data hacks, leaks and attacks. In a cloud system, firms share a pool of network and storage resources, which brings about this fear, because in the business world, sharing is not about caring. Firms can be assured that the cloud providers segment and secure the servers and resources in such a way that essentially each company’s data is in their own private space, completely detached and inaccessible for others.
- No Cloud, No Worries!: A firm that has not opted for a cloud ERP system may smugly assume that it is safer. “My data is not stored on the cloud, it is stored on my own computer. I am completely safe!” But if the computers are connected to the internet, the firm is already on the cloud. Given that most, if not all, companies are connected to the internet, no company is perfectly safe from attacks and data theft.
- Data security is the sole responsibility of the Cloud Provider: The cloud ERP vendor does manage the network security and associated tasks for the firm. However, to rely solely on the vendor for all aspects of data security is a massive folly. Internal data management and confidentiality policies, password policies, employee accessibility, user management and security training of employees are equally, if not more, important when it comes to maintaining data integrity and safety.
There are several reasons to choose a cloud based solution for your business needs. Lower costs, greater accessibility and flexibility are some of the many reasons that firms are increasingly opting for cloud-based ERP. The common myths and misconceptions regarding data security on the cloud are more fiction than fact. Enterprises looking for a suitable ERP system can be rest assured that the cloud options are safe.
Main service models of cloud computing
- Infrastructure-as-a-Service – eg – Digital Ocean, Google compute Engine, Openstack
- Paas – Platform -as-a Service -eg – Heroku, Microsoft Azure
- SaaS – Software-as-a Service -eg – Salesforce, Mailchimp, Slack
Types of Cloud Deployment –
- Private Cloud – dedicated to one organisation
- Public Cloud – server run by external vendors and shared by multi organisations.
- Hybrid Cloud – combine private and public servers and includes on premise legacy servers.
- Multi Cloud – using multiple public clouds,the organisation rents virtual servers and services.
Expand ERP – the best fit ERP cloud software in India for manufacturers promises to protect your valuable data with Expand SureShield.
- Multiple Location Storage – Data is on the cloud, stored in multiple locations ensuring maximum safety.
- Stored on trusted technology platform (Microsoft Azure, SQL Server)
- 99.99% uptime (uptime is the amount of time the service is online available and operational)
- SSL(encrypted) Data Transmission- Similar technology as Net Banking and thus extremely secure.
- Private Database – each user has the private database and not shared one as in open source ERP.
Expand ERP is India’s best-fit cloud ERP system for fast growing businesses like yours. It empowers the mid sized manufacturers in the export and retail industry with real-time visibility and complete control over their business for faster expansion by simplifying complex business processes.
With over 15 years of extensive R&D and market testing, we have developed a software that seamlessly fits into Indian Business. We are the OEM of this solution. Further, specific fitment through customization and integration are made for the company’s unique needs. All measures are taken to fit seamlessly into the existing business processes to deliver the maximum benefit of our solution.
Expand ERP cloud software drives maximum growth and ROI to your business.
To know more about Expand ERP and how it will transform your business operations please allow us to arrange for the best fitment test and product walkthrough by our BizTech Expert.